Saturday, May 4, 2013

April Showers

  It has been quite a crazy time since spring break!  (Even though I only posted about recently, that was way back in March for me.)  I have been very much enjoying my improved strength and coordination and the extra freedom it gives me!  Until a bit of a POTSie spell the past week, I hadn't used my wheelchair at all!  I've been doing a lot of fun stuff with friends, but of course not as much as I would like.  There's this crazy thing called grad school that tends to get in the way!

 Neuroanatomy has been and still is driving me slightly crazy.  Though I am interested in the subject enough that I'm thinking about specializing in that area, it is very, VERY hard.  I have a solid background in science so I thought I knew roughly what I was in for.  Nope.  It was even harder than that.  I haven't stressed about a class this much or felt more over my head since gen. chem. my first quarter of undergrad.  Basically my feelings on neuro summed up:

I have no idea, but I better figure it out by next Thursday's final!

  And then...well I really don't want to go into this much, but I figure I should address the fact that my city was bombed.  Basically, it's been horribel and sad and stressful.  There is no way I can write about it eloquently, and I don't want to add to the piles of garbage that dilute the thoughtful, meaningful, and important pieces other's have written or filmed or photographed.  It's one of those life changing things that I may never fully understand.  I just want to say that I am extremely thankful for social media connecting me with my friends and news as things were happening, the police and everyone who kept us safe afterwards, and my friends and pretty much Boston in general for sticking together since then.  A bunch of us here have pledged to do 31 acts of kindness during the month of May.  For me, as well as for a lot of the people who are participating, I think it's some small way we can use the terrible thing that happened as fuel to do something positive.  Feel free to check it out and join in!
 

   May is looking pretty difficult as well, with surgery coming up (10 days Ahhhh!) and finals and all that.  But a girl can still manage to have some fun.  :0)  There was a softball tournament for all the grad programs and despite my doctor forbidding me from playing sports and despite the fact that I couldn't hit, throw, or run, I decided that this was something that I must do.  My friend Melanie organized our team so we made up for our lack of skill with some pretty fly uniforms!  The night before a few people came over and we decorated these completely blinding neon shirts with our team name (Team Awesome) on the front and OT related nicknames on the back.  I picked "Non-Compliant" because I feel it summed me up pretty well.



We were squashed very thoroughly in the game (we played against a team of all guys and some of them had, like actual baseball pants and their own gloves and stuff), but it was a blast!  I mostly played (adapted) catch on the sidelines, but I did get to (adaptively) hit a ball during the last inning.

Just like Buster!





My dad asked if I got on base from my hit that night when he called and that was the first time it occurred to me that I should have done anything except celebrate the fact that I hit the ball and then walk off the field.  Oh well!  :0)  I'm going to post the video I made of the game but first, I want to warn you that it contains some swears (sorry Grandma and Grandpa!).  So, you know, only watch it if you are ok with that.

Blogger is being a dillhole, so you have to click here for the video.


Oh, and side note, the blog is still under construction   I'm fairly confident that none of the pull down menues at the top of the page work...yet.  And I'm going to put new pictures in the slideshow...someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you!