Friday, January 20, 2012

I'm On A Boat!

I don't think I mentioned this in my last post, but we actually didn't leave the port yesterday. There was a problem with people getting Visas to Brazil so they are stuck in Florida still. Being an already awesome community, the boat is not leaving without them. :0) We actually set sail just after 12:00 today but only to swim around for a bit and then get back to port to pick the students up by 5:00. I think the time we will actually be off on this incredible adventure is going to be around 8:00 PM tonight. Even though the sailing at 12:00 wasn't us officially leaving, it was still very exciting. I was out on deck with a new friend and her family so I had a good view of everything. It was really fun waving to the people on the shore (even though my mom and dad were actually at the airport already. sad face.) and cheering with everyone when they blew the horn. I got some great pictures and bit of shaking video footage of the whole thing.



The rest of the day has unfortunately been filled with rather tedious meetings. The usual "don't cheat, don't abuse substances, don't attack anyone" that is really important but also pretty boring. The speakers did a great job of making it as painless as possible which is a commendable feat. Especially because many of us were feeling the first touches of seasickness during the meetings.




In addition to the movement of the boat, I'm noticing a few things are going to be a bit challenging for me. Like eating what is cooked for me and only at meal times. i usually eat really small meals (of whatever won't make me nauseous at that time) throughout the day. No can do here. I know that I will adjust though. The lack of sleep in another new thing for me. So far there have been meetings that go until 10:00 PM and then start the next day at 9:00 PM which leaves me far less than the 10-12 hours of sleep a night that I am used to. I don't see anything as something I won't get used to though. One of the good things about having a disability is that I'm very used to challenges and getting over them. It's almost like I've been in the travelers mindset for the last four years. :0)



As for the people sailing with me, everyone I met has been extremely nice and fun to talk to. I thought it would be overwhelming to meet so many new people, but I'm actually enjoying it. Each time I go to a meeting, wander onto the deck, or sit down for a meal, I meet new awesome people. As the trip goes on, we will probably all settle into groups, but now it's mostly just meeting as many people as possible.
I'm having a great time and I know it's only going to get better!

2 comments:

  1. It is so exciting to read your posts about this adventure. I am glad you are having a great time. Hope you find delicious things you can eat between meals – who knows, a boat is full of surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh! That first picture is just amazing!! As are the rest.. Lol oh boy! I really hope you have an unlimited supply of saltines... I can't believe you are doing this! It gives me hope for something exciting in my future! I am getting butterflies in my stomach thinking of everything you are (I'm sure) struggling with and not writing about. I still can't wrap my head around this adventure...this is huge!!! =D I am so envious ;) , excited, nervous, anxious, very excited, and most of all extremely proud of you for just doing it!!! I feel like if you can travel the world, you can do anything... Right? ;) =D hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you!